All of us grew up eating mac and cheese, but most of us never stopped eating it. How could you? It is delicious! Everybody loves pasta and everyone loves cheese, so it’s pretty much a match made in paradise. Even better, it is especially great when homemade having a nice crispy crust on top. It just gets better the older you get!
However, there’s no arguing that regular mac and cheese has one downfall — it’s high in carbs. So if you’re on the Ketogenic diet, do you have to give up eating this delicious meal? Not if you make our low-carb Keto mac and cheese recipe! The secret to our recipe is that it uses cauliflower instead of pasta. If you’re looking for a side for your delicious Keto lunch, this is it. Learn all the important details below.
- 1 Recipe for Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 2 Why Cauliflower Works So Well in Keto Mac and Cheese
- 3 Tips for Making Cauliflower Like a Pro
Recipe for Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
This recipe creates 3 modest servings (of 11.79 net carbs each) and makes a perfect side dish!
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes| Serves: 3 | Calories per Serving: 518 kcal
Equipment: Knife, chopping board, skillet, bowl, and baking dish
- 8 cups cauliflower
- 2 slices bacon
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F and heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Dice the bacon and separate the cauliflower into small florets. Add the bacon and cauliflower to the skillet and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring once in a while.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet into a baking dish.
- Mix the butter with 1 cup of cheddar cheese and the heavy whipping cream in a bowl until a consistent cheese sauce is formed. Pour it over the cauliflower mixture in the baking dish.
- Top the contents of the baking dish with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes and broil for 5 more to give it a crispy crust.
Why Cauliflower Works So Well in Keto Mac and Cheese
To people acquainted with low-carb diets such as the Ketogenic diet, it may not be surprising to hear about cauliflower as a substitute. It has become a popular replacement for all sorts of grains, in large part because it goes so well with so many dishes.
More importantly, there are just 3 grams of carbs in a cup of milk, meaning that it can constitute the majority of your own meal and still offer you next to no carbs. If you’re interested in finding one food in particular that could end up carrying a significant load to your daily diet plan, cauliflower is a leading competitor.
It also happens to have plenty of merits regardless of its carbohydrate content. It is a big-time contributor for many nutrients such as:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B6
- Omega-3 fatty acids
Does that sound like a lot? That’s why cauliflower is an incredible ingredient to include in this and other Keto recipes!
Cauliflower gets the job done and then some, helping you kick carbs out of your diet while also giving you a ton of nutritional benefits. How could you ask for more?
Tips for Making Cauliflower Like a Pro
If you are all set to get started integrating cauliflower in your meal plans, you’ll want to have things just perfect. Here are some professional pumpkin making tips to Bear in Mind:
- Buy the best you can
It all begins with buying the best quality cauliflower you can get. Look for cauliflower with a creamy white color and no discoloration. It should feel dense compared to other vegetables when you hold it. Don’t buy cauliflower with droopy leaves, as this probably means it is not at its best. When all else fails, just give it a sniff!
- Storing the cauliflower correctly
A good idea is to transfer the cauliflower to a plastic bag along with a paper towel. This will provide it with better conditions where it won’t rot as quickly and excess moisture will be soaked up instead of festering on the cauliflower. This will result in a better overall product.
- Cutting the cauliflower
When it is time to prep your cauliflower, first split it into quarters. Once you have done that, cut away the small piece of core from each quarter and chop the cauliflower into small florets. You will be shooting for macaroni-sized pieces.
Once you’ve followed these steps, you will be on your way to making an especially delicious meal full of healthy cauliflower!
If you are trying to find a healthier new way to enjoy a classic dish, then it is the right time to give Keto cauliflower mac and cheese per shot. It simply might be what ends up carrying your low-carb diet!
READ NEXT – Top 6 Smelling Essential Oil Blends Youll Love