Kale And What Makes It Best For Your Health
This post is about another super food – Kale ! This veggie belongs to the family of cabbage. Like Broccoli, Kale is packed with nutrients. I shall let you know health benefits of Kale without boring you a lot :P. Well, you don’t need reasons to include it in your diet, period ! Let’s see how it can help us to become healthy –
Top Health Benefits Of Kale
Kale carries fewer calories. There are around 36 calories in one cup of Kale. People who want to lose weight must pay attention.
2. High in fiber – 5 grams of fiber in a cup !
3. Zero fat
4. Aids a lot in digestion
5. Rich in Iron. Kale is a must have food for anemic people.
6. High in Vitamin A and Vitamin C. N you thought only citrus fruits are rich in Vitamin C ?
7. Rich in calcium – It might be shocking to you that Kale has a greater calcium content than milk.
8. Kale contains Antioxidants – carotenoids and flavonoids that help protect against various cancers.
9. Kale has anti-inflammatory properties , just like brown rice.
10. Kale promotes lowering of cholesterol. If you have high cholesterol, please read here.
11. Great for detox- the buzz word !
12. Rich in Potassium
13. Rich in Manganese
Few Tips to include Kale in your diet
Kale is a short-lived vegetable, make sure to use it before you go grocery shopping. It shouldn’t be placed in a refrigerator for more than 4-5 days. Its taste becomes bitter with time, therefore, use it before it goes to waste.
Kale with smaller leaves is tender and digested easily unlike the one with bigger leaves.
Wash it with running water to remove soil, dirt etc. Wash only before use since water can spoil Kale.
Kale if not organic, might be extremely subjected to pesticides. So beware.
Few recipes in which you can add Kale – soups, salad, pizza , pasta. Kale chips and juice are also very popular.
Now the tricky part. If you have thyroid , stay away from it ! There are studies which mention that Kale is goitrogenic. This simply means it interferes with the functioning of thyroid gland. Although the studies are controversial, still I would suggest that if you have thyroid, avoid Kale.
Do you know of some Kale recipes ? Have you used Kale and lost weight ? Share with us !
You may also like reading –
- How To Calculate Ideal Body Weight Using BMI
- Weight Loss : Spot Reduction Myth or Truth ?
- Lose Weight With High Intensity Interval Training
- Pica in Kids and Women | How To Handle Pica
- 6 Ways for Eating Healthy While Eating Out
- DIY : Cinnamon Tea for Weight Loss
- Indian Vegetarian GM Diet For Quick Weight Loss | Day 7 Experience
- What To Eat In A High Protein Low Carb Diet (India)
- Best Sugar Substitutes | Stevia Sweetener Review
- Best Ways to Overcome Exercise Excuses
- 7 Weight Loss Myths and Facts