On the lookout for a healthy snack? Before you reach for a box of cookies or a bag of fries, have a quick look in the ingredients list. If you take the opportunity to read it, then you are going to find that no store-bought version can pile up against homemade snacks and crackers.
As you read through that food label, make not of what you see. Depending on the brand, you might see a long list of unhealthy ingredients like refined sugar and processed flours – probably with some artificial additives as well. What purpose do all of those extraneous ingredients serve?
In many cases, processed snack foods are loaded to the brim with low-quality and artificial ingredients designed to make the product look and taste appealing without actually adding much nutrition. If you want to enjoy a healthy, flavorful snack but you don’t want to pay specialty food prices, consider making your own. These whole-grain herb crackers are a great place to start!
Here’s the recipe:
Easy Whole-Grain Crackers
This recipe for simple whole-grain herb crackers is a great place to get started. Try out the recipe is to get a feel for how to make homemade crackers and then you can experiment together with all the variations provided below. You could also feel free to get creative and try a tasty blend of your imagination!
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Extra olive oil, as needed
- Sea salt, as needed
- Combine the whole-wheat flour and all-purpose flour with the salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Next, turn the mixer on to medium speed using the dough hook attachment.
- Slowly pour in the water and olive oil then blend for 5 to 7 minutes until it forms a tacky dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball by hand then divide it into four even-sized pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and lightly coat with olive oil then place them on a clean plate.
- Cover the dough balls with plastic and then rest at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take one piece of dough and roll it out on a floured surface as thin and as even as you can.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into even squares and arrange them on the baking sheets.
- Poke each cracker with a fork several times and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until crisp and lightly browned then cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining balls of dough.
Herb Variation 1: Rosemary Garlic Crackers
Follow the Simple Whole-Grain Crackers recipe until you get to phase 10. Stir 2 teaspoons of dried rosemary in a small bowl with 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt together. Sprinkle the mixture of herbs over the crackers and then bake as instructed.
Herb Variation 2: Italian Herb Crackers
Follow the recipe for Easy Whole-Grain Crackers until you reach Step 10. In a small bowl, stir together 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, and 1 teaspoon dried thyme with ¼ teaspoon each garlic powder and sea salt. Finish by sprinkling the herb mixture over the crackers then bake as directed.
Herb Variation 3: Peppery Sage Crackers
Follow the recipe for Easy Whole-Grain Crackers until you reach Step 10. In a small bowl, stir together 2 teaspoons of dried sage with 1 teaspoon black pepper and ¼ teaspoon sea salt. Sprinkle the mixture over the crackers then bakes as directed.
Tips for Making Homemade Crackers
The best thing about making your own home-made snacks is you have full ingredient power! You can create an unlimited array of variations in flavor by making a few simple changes to a basic recipe. Here are some tips before you start:
- For extra-crispy crackers, roll out your dough as thin as you can.
- Pay close attention when the crackers are baking – they can go from undercooked to overcooked in the blink of an eye.
- Leave plenty of space between your crackers on the baking sheet to ensure an even bake.
- Try to cut your crackers as evenly as possible in shape and size so they all bake well.
There you have it! Now you’re ready to try your hand at making homemade crackers.
Want to learn more about the health benefits of fresh herbs and spices? Check it out here.
READ NEXT – What Is HIIT Training