If you get a whiff of a new lemon or lemon skin, it’s undeniably invigorating. However, a burst of aroma is not all these cold-pressed oils are great for.
Whether you are just starting out with essential oils, or you have been using these for decades, there are a number of citrus essential oil applications you may not know about yet. You see the benefits of citrus essential oils are immense, which makes plenty of daily uses which can help you in every part of your daily life. Let’s get started!
5 Ways to Use Citrus Essential Oil for Illness
Citrus essential oils have anti-inflammatory properties, which make them great for relieving respiratory congestion, fever, and other cold symptoms. Plus, some are also anti-spasmodic, meaning they can ease cramps and tension. Interested in trying it out for yourself? Consider these 5 ways to use citrus oil for illness:
- Diffuse lemon essential oil to clear up respiratory congestion. Try it first thing in the morning to relieve dry sinuses from the night.
- Rub orange essential oil and a carrier oil onto your belly to relieve an upset stomach.
- Diffuse and deeply inhale tangerine essential oil to reduce minor fever inflammation. You can also add it to a carrier oil and rub on your forehead, temples, and neck.
- Add tangerine essential oil (can combine with eucalyptus too!) to a body lotion and rub on your sore or cramping muscles.
- Inhale lemon essential oil to reduce mild symptoms of nausea. If you’re pregnant or frequently nauseous, consider using an aromatherapy necklace to have this oil on hand whenever needed.
Remember: To use citrus essential oils, always dilute them with a carrier oil to avoid any skin irritation. Also, wait up to 12 hours after using them topically before going into direct sunlight.
to Use Citrus Essential Oil for Mental Health Support
These bright and playful-smelling oils are natural energizers and can actually help ease symptoms of some mental health issues like depression or anxiety.’
When inhaled, they impact your olfactory system, which is processed in your brain and can influence your mood. Therefore, you can utilize the following citrus blend essential oil uses for many of your mental health needs:
- Inhale orange essential oil to potentially ease mild depression and anxiety symptoms. You can mix two drops of the oil with a carrier oil and rub your hands together, cup your nose, and breathing deeply.
- Rub lemon essential oil with a carrier oil on your chest and temples to have a light and refreshing aromatherapy treatment to boost your mood.
- Keep a spray bottle of neroli and bergamot essential oils and water around during your period. Spray it around the room and inhale to promote consistent positivity and reduce mood swings.
- Add one drop each of orange and lemon essential oils directly to your shirt collar for a mood-lifting scent that will follow you throughout your day. Just sniff your shirt for some easy-access support when needed.
to Use Citrus Essential Oil for House/Cleaning Products
and anti-microbial properties of some citrus oils make them ideal for use in
all-natural cleaning products.
Basically, with these citrus essential oil uses, you won’t be afraid of any chemicals you can’t pronounce being used in your home. Plus, they also eliminate odors and support a fresh, clean-smelling home and air. Let’s take a look at 8 citrus blend essential oil for house and cleaning products:
- Use lime essential oil for your greasy dishes. Add one drop of lime oil into your dishwasher load or combine three drops in your by-hand dish soap bottle.
- Add tangerine, lemon, and sweet orange essential oils to a vinegar and water mixture to create an all-natural countertop disinfectant.
- Combine lemon and grapefruit essential oils with water in a spray bottle to spritz around the bathroom. This room spray can help to freshen the area before or after you take care of your business. Additionally, you can spray the mixture directly onto the toilet bowl’s water to create a fragrance seal. That way, any smells under the water’s surface will stay put.
- Add two drops of tangerine essential oil to a cotton ball and store in your clothing drawers to help reduce musty smells and keep your clothes smelling fresh.
- Use lemon essential oil to help bleach and lighten stubborn stains on clothes or walls.
- Make DIY essential oil hand soap with orange and mandarin essential oil to disinfect and smell great.
- Drop lemon essential oil into your smelly shoes to eliminate most odors. Never be afraid to take off your shoes in public again!
- Store a sponge dusted with baking powder and a few drops of lime essential oil in your refrigerator to absorb odors. Add more lime oil and baking soda as needed over time.
To Use Citrus Essential Oil for Skin and Hair
The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant capacities of some citrus essential oils are great for supporting anti-aging on your skin. They can help with some of your hair and beauty needs too because of their lightening abilities. To see just how helpful citrus essential oil can be for your for your skin and hair, check these hacks out:
- Add lemon essential oil and coconut oil to your hair to remove sticky gum situations (we’ve all been there before!).
- Massage grapefruit essential oil and coconut oil into your scalp to help stimulate hair growth.
- Use bergamot essential oil to combat mild acne by adding one drop to your nightly face moisturizer.
- Combine lemon essential oil with baking soda for a spot scar lightening treatment you can use every day. Just rub the mixture on your dark spots and then watch as they lighten over time.
- Add grapefruit and lemon essential oils to massage oil to help release toxins from your skin.
- Combine lemon and peppermint essential oils for an all-natural spider and bug repellant spray you can use on your skin when outdoors. Just remember to wait before going in direct sunlight!
- Add lemon essential oil to your shampoo for some natural hair lightening during the summer. You can also spray some into your hair for a slightly more dramatic effect — just remember to cover your eyes as you do so. And be sure to comb it through evenly or you’ll end up with reverse “leopard” spots where the spray hit!
to Use Citrus Essential Oil for Aromatherapy
Whether you use aromatherapy for mental health or just to freshen your bedroom, there are many wonderful citrus essential oil benefits that you can enjoy:
- Diffuse bergamot and grapefruit essential oils for an uplifting and motivating blend.
- Make a tangerine and bitter orange essential oil-scented candle to place in your living room for a positive punch when guests come over.
- Make DIY perfume by combining lime, orange, and lemon with coconut oil in a roller bottle. Apply on your wrists and neck as needed throughout the day and enjoy.
- Use an aromatherapy necklace to hold your favorite citrus blends around your neck. This way, you can inhale on the go to suit your busy schedule!